Establishing Open Access Institutional Repositories in Palestine
The Current Situation, the Lesson Learned and the Future
- The Islamic University of Gaza: Conferences Hall, Taiba Building
- Birzeit University: Institute of Law Annex Hall (Room 243)
November 21, 2018
View Larger Map
View Larger Map
Please confirm your participation here.
The ROMOR Project “Research Output Management through Open Access Institutional Repositories in Palestinian Higher Education Institutions” aims over the course of three years to build capacity on research output management in four leading PS HEIs by establishing Open Access Institutional Repositories (OAIR). The training which is required to establish these repositories, and then their implementation, population and management are the core of the Project.
This Project aims to improve not only the visibility and the management of scientific research but also to promote the advocacy in support of open access to research outputs and to foster scholarly communication and coordination between Palestinian universities. The Project comprises 4 Palestinian universities and 4 European universities.
- The Islamic University of Gaza
- Birzeit University
- Al-Quds Open University
- Palestine Technical University - Kadoorie
- Technische Universitaet Wien
- Universita Degli Studi Di Parma
- The University of Brighton
- The University of Glasgow
Learning outcomes from these activities would be shared and disseminated through a series of training and dissemination workshops. This workshop is the first one in this series.
Sharing knowledge with other non-partner stakeholders by introducing:
- ROMOR Project and its objectives,
- Open Science and Open Publishing,
- the lessons learned from staff and students mobility,
- the lessons learned from implementing OAIR in partner universities, and
- the national plan for research output management in Palestinian universities
Academic and administrative staff, and students, non-partners universities, MoHE, and the AQAC.
Wednesday November 21, 2018
The Islamic University of Gaza: Conferences Hall, Taiba Building
Birzeit University: Institute of Law Annex Hall (Room 243)
|9:00-9:20||Opening||- Dr. Rawia Awadallah (IUG)
- Prof Naser Farahat (IUG President)
- Prof. Henry Giacaman (BZU Vice President for Academic Affairs)
Session 1: Introduction to Open Science
Chair- BZU: Prof. Adnan Yahya
|9:20- 9:30||ROMOR & Open Science||Dr. Rawia Awadallah (IUG)||- Introducing Open Science|
|9:30- 9:50||Open Access Publishing in a Digital World||Prof. Talal Shahwan (BZU)||- Why open access publishing?
- Chances and challenges of OA publishing
- Resources and databases
|9:50- 10:00||Coffee Break|
Session 2: Training & teaching: Mobility Activities (A quick recap of lessons learned)
Chair- IUG: Prof. Samir Afifi
|10:00 - 10:20||Parma Mobility experience||Dr Wael Al-Sarraj (IUG)||- Introduction: Introducing the mobility participants from PS universities and the Hosting university.
- Activities, Visits, Lectures and Exercises took place.
- Outcomes: courses developed, links established with research teams at PARMA.
- European Credit Transfer System (ECTS)
|10:20 - 10:40||Vienna Mobility experience||Dr Thabet Sabbah(QOU)||- Climate Change Centre
- Vienna University Digital Repository (Phaidra)
- Digital Preservation Curricula Development
|10:40 - 11:00||Glasgow Mobility experience||Dr Mutamed Alkhateeb (PTUK)||- CASRAI 2018: common terms used in Open Access are presented: (Gold/Green open access, Embargo, CRIS, IR, ORCID, DataCite, (Crossref), ISNI, Data Licensing and copyrights
- Repository Fringe 2018: Next generation repository (COAR)
|11:00 - 11:15||Overview of ROMOR training and teaching environment||- IUG (Bilal AlNabris+ Mohammed Alastal)
- BZU (Dr. Talal Shahwan)
|- Infrastructure (IUG)
- The training/teaching courses (IUG)
- BZU Plan
|11:15 - 11:30||Student Mobility experience||Students||- Parma students experience
- Vienna students experience
|11:30 - 11:40||Coffee Break|
Session 3: Implementation and the National Roadmap
Chair- BZU: Dr Wael Hashlamoun
|11:40 - 11:55||IUG Repository||Dr. Iyad Alagh (IUG)||Current situation and efforts, lessons, and future plans|
|11:55- 12:10||FADA||Mrs. Diana Sayej (BZU)|
|12:10- 12:25||OSOL||Dr. Yousef AbuZir (QOU)|
|12:25- 12:40||PTUK Repository||Dr. Nael Salman (PTUK)|
|12:40- 13:00||The National Research Output Management Roadmap||
Dr. Adnan Yahya (BZU)
|Introduction to the national roadmap for research output management|
|13:00 - 13:50||Open Discussion||
|13:50||Wrap-up & Closing||Rawia Awadallah (IUG)|